Los Californianos’ Logo
by Mary Triplett Ayers
Los Californianos’ logo was designed by members Nancy and John Henshall in 1971. It contains some of the elements of the coats of arms of some of the kings of Spain, notably Carlos III who was king from 1759 to 1788 when colonization of Alta California was begun.
The oval shield is quartered. In the first and third quarters are gold castles on red fields representing the Kingdom of Castilla. In the second and fourth quarters are crowned red rampant lions on silver (white) representing the Kingdom of León. At the bottom point of the shield is a red pomegranate with green leaves on a white field representing the Kingdom of Granada. In the center are three gold fleurs-de-lis on blue representing the Bourbons.
The arms are surmounted by an open royal crown (as opposed to a closed imperial crown.) The gold crown has four open arches of pearls, and the whole is surrounded with the collar of the Order of the Golden Fleece. The gold collar shows eight red flames coming out from blue flint stones. Suspended at the bottom of the collar is a ram or fleece.
The lions and castles representing Castilla and León have been in the Spanish coat of arms since the marriage of Los Reyes Católicos Fernando e Ysabel in 1469 and their ascent to the throne in 1474.
The reason Fernando e Ysabel made Cristobal Colón (Columbus) wait seven years before underwriting his plan to reach the East by sailing West is because their first and primary goal as monarchs was to rid Spain of the Moors and the Jews.
Muslims entered Spain from North Africa in 711. They conquered all the way north to Tours in France. There they were defeated in 732 by Charles Martel (Charles the Hammer), and driven back across the Pyrenees into Spain. The Moors were in Spain for 781 years. The Reconquista was completed on January 2, 1492 with the fall of the Kingdom of Granada. The Moorish King Boabdil surrendered to Fernando e Ysabel. He and his people were sent in tears back to North Africa. So, the pomegranate was added to the coat of arms in 1492.
Carlos III added the fleurs-de-lis, because he was a Bourbon or Borbón as they say in Spain.
The Order of the Golden Fleece was established in 1430 by Philip the Good, Duke of Burgundy. In 1477, because there was no male heir, the Grand Mastership passed to the House of Habsburg. In 1516, it passed to the Spanish branch of the House of Habsburg. Its members have been Burgundian, Austrian, and Spanish. The order still exists today in Austria and Spain. The Duchy of Burgundy was annexed by the French crown after the death of Charles the Bold in 1477.
click on image below to see logo colorized as described above.